mardi 30 mai 2017

Best practice for Rails setup w/ Docker on a Windows machine

I am brand new to Rails and Docker, and am looking to develop a website that runs on Rails and deploys to Production with the help of Docker (likely to AWS).

What would be best practice for setting up my development environment considering I am on a Windows machine?

ADDENDUM:

I understand there are many problems running Rails on Windows, two known solutions for which are:

  1. Spin up a Unix VM (VirtualBox, Vagrant) on my Windows machine and install Ruby / Docker / my favorite IDE onto it. Develop from there.
  2. Use Docker to circumvent the need for a Virtual Machine.

I guess I am confused about this last point. From my limited understanding of Docker, I know that I can use it to create an image of my local app and launch containers of it anywhere. BUT, aren't I still doing my development on Windows? (and hence still subject to all of the known problems with Rails-Windows installations).

Maybe I am missing something about this solution, like somehow running Rails off of a Unix image on Docker or something. Does any of this make sense? Advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire