vendredi 10 janvier 2020

Naming a new entity for white-label platform

Before starting, I noticed that this is not a tech-specific question (just a naming debate), so let me know if this post is not appropriate.

I'm building a car rental platform for a company and we have plans to turn this product into some sort of white label that other car rental companies (and any company that has a car fleet) could use.

Since I want to start with the right foot, I know that the first step is to build a new "Entity" that "reflects" these organizations.

Here are some simplified Ruby examples of my project.

class User < ApplicationRecord
  has_many :payments
  has_many :bookings
end

class Car < ApplicationRecord
  validates :price_per_day, numericality: { greater_than_or_equal_to: 0 }
  has_many :bookings
end

So, by adding a new "Organization"

class User < ApplicationRecord
  has_many :payments
  has_many :bookings
  belongs_to :organization
end

I can make my Fleet Admins to have access only to specific users, cars, etc. I can also make my users browse only cars from the organization, and even add proper UI and styling based on the organization. However, the name organization looks pretty ambiguous. Unfortunately most of the platform offers company and corporate plans as one of the biggest business models so I can't use that name since from now on "Many companies (in a corporate plan) belongs to one specific organization". I've even thought in some sort of Workspace concept (Slack inspired), but not really sure if it's the most proper word.

Once again, I'm sorry if naming debates are not allowed in here, just a non-english speaker that is really keen into good naming in code.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire